The duration of the existence of a shed depends on the material that it’s constructed with.
There are three types of sheds, that’s wooden, plastic, and metal sheds:
The Sheds That Last the Longest Are:
The duration of a shed depends on maintenance, atmospheric conditions, and the surrounding environment. Metal sheds last the longest for approximately 25 years if they are well maintained. Sheds made from iron can last up to 25 years and above, whereas aluminum sheds can last approximately 15 years.
Table of Contents
How Long Do Good Quality Sheds Last?
A good quality shed should last for more than 15 years if it’s well maintained.
There are factors that will facilitate the quality of a shed-like:
- The walls and siding materials should be painted.
- There should be adequate space and access to avoid damages on the walls when accommodating large equipment.
- The shed’s location should facilitate easy access to the stored items, and it should be constructed not too close to large trees to avoid damage by branches and roots.
- The shed should have a solid foundation to be anchored firmly to the ground surface to avoid damages.
The materials used to construct a good quality shed will determine the duration that the shed will take to last.
For instance, metal sheds, specifically those made of iron, will last for more than 25 years in non-salty environments, and vinyl plastic sheds will last for more than 25 years.
4 Popular Types of Sheds and How Long They Last
The shed-life varies depending on the materials used to construct it, the maintenance, location, and effects of the atmospheric conditions.
There are four popular types of sheds:
1. Metal sheds
They can be made from steel, aluminum, and iron.
They are known for being durable and long-lasting due to their metallic structure. Metal sheds are insect-proof, fireproof, and can withstand weather-related issues.
They are difficult to break into in case of thieves invade.
Sheds made from iron can last up to 25 years and above.
2. Aluminum sheds
These sheds can last approximately 15 years if they are well maintained and in a conducive environment.
3. Plastic sheds
Plastic sheds also last longer, especially vinyl sheds, which last for more than 25 years. Resin sheds can last up to 5 years.
The ability of plastic sheds to be waterproof, rodent, and insect-proof, and the resistance to rotting facilitates them to last long.
4. Wooden sheds
Wooden sheds last average 8 to 12 years with the appropriate maintenance.
Wooden sheds are the most attractive since they are easily customized, and they come with great designs and a variety of sizes. The use of high-quality wood and a solid, sturdy frame makes them able to withstand strong winds.
The use of red cedar wood can also withstand damages inflicted by the insects.
To acquire the best quality shed, one should purchase the best quality materials. The plastic vinyl sheds are the cheapest and most effective, followed by the metal sheds and the wooden sheds.
What Are the Best Quality Sheds?
The quality of a shed depends on various aspects such as the materials used, the location constructed, accessibility, space, the quality of construction, and the level of maintenance of that particular shed.
The following are the best quality sheds:
1. Keter Fusion
This is made of raw wood and can endure extreme weather.
The shed requires little maintenance.
It is facilitated with a steel-reinforced roof, air vents to prevent odor, and windows on the double doors, providing plenty of natural light.
You can find the Keter Fusion on Amazon.
2. Suncast Tremont
This is constructed with resin plastic at 8 feet wide and 4 feet deep.
Suncast is best known for its durability. The roof, floor, and walls have been reinforced with metal.
The shed also has windows on the door and padlock hardware to enhance security.
You can find the Suncast Tremont here.
3. Lifetime 6405
It’s similar to a tiny home because of its 4 large skylights and shatter-proof windows that facilitate the natural lighting of the shed.
The shed is made with high-density polyethylene with steel reinforced doors with locks.
You can find Lifetime 6405 on Amazon.
4. Keter factor
It measures 4 by 6 feet and is made with polypropylene resin plastic, and the walls are reinforced with steel.
The shed is advantageous as it can stand up against severe weather and requires low maintenance.
The shed is brown, resembling a wooden texture.
You can find the Keter Factor on Amazon.
Which Brands Last the Longest?
1. Plastic Brands:
- Keter plastic sheds are a highly rated (8 to 9) shed manufacturing and supplier of plastic sheds. The Keter brand products can last at least 20 years.
- Duramax- These are specifically meant for storage purposes, such as instrumental equipment and spare parts. These sheds can last as long as 15 years.
- Palram Skylight- They produce medium-sized packs and robust sheds specifically for garden needs. The products are made by combining polycarbonate panels and aluminum frames to enhance stiffness. This makes them quite durable, and they can last for between 10-15 years.
2. Metal Brands:
- Asgard sheds – They are known to produce metal sheds that provide security for items. These sheds are popular because they can last for more than 25 years.
- Biohort sheds produce quality metal sheds that come with great designs and last longer, with customers reporting that they can last for up to 20 years.
- Arrow sheds – This is the largest metal shed manufacturer in the world. They produce cheap metal sheds and offer them in different sizes. These sheds can last for more than 20 years.
3. Wooden Brands:
- EZ-fit sheds – Known to produce quality wood sheds that can last up to 15 years with good maintenance.
- Best barns sheds – Known for being best in wood storage shed options. These sheds can last for up to 10 years.
7 Things To Look For in a Good Quality Shed?
Here are some considerations if you are looking to get a good quality shed:
1. High-quality floor material with a strong foundation
It would be best to place pressure-applied plywood on the floor since it’s more durable and less susceptible to buckling and moisture.
It would be best if you elevated the foundation to prevent corrosion of shed materials:
The shed should have a heavy-duty lock on the door with non-returnable screws.
This forms one of the most important aspects of the shed’s exterior and should complement the color of the house or garden.
The shed should have a strong heavy-duty roof which can either be cedar shingles or tiles to promote longevity.
The shed should have windows made of toughened glass that don’t break easily and don’t leak.
6. Quality construction
Availability of quality construction will facilitate the longevity of the shed.
Care less about the price and more about the quality of the materials!
A concrete surface is the most ideal for a garden shed.
Paving slabs can also be an appropriate alternative for the base.
How Much Should You Expect To Pay for a Long-Lasting Shed?
The cost of a shed depends on the materials being used and the size of the shape.
Getting a long-lasting shed will cost you approximately $2,500 on average.
Most people prefer building their own sheds, which is usually much more cost-effective. The cost of constructing a shed ranges from $15-$150 per square foot, depending on the materials being used.
The following is the cost of building a shed by material:
|Material||Cost in $|
Based on the above information, metal and plastic shed last the longest.
They are quite cheaper and require low maintenance compared to the wooden sheds.
The plastic shed is the most efficient and convenient because of its affordable pricing and low maintenance requirements.